Addictions usually refers to any behaviour that is out of control or to explain the experience of withdrawal of a substance or behaviour. Addictions include alcohol, tobacco, pot, hard drugs, prescription drugs, watching pornography, seeking out sex, or gambling.
How do I know if I have an addiction?
One way is to apply the 4 C’s:
• Control – loss of control of amount of frequency of use
• Compulsion to use
• Consequences – use despite the consequence
Seeking help for addiction takes courage. You make feel overwhelmed, ashamed, or confused.
Psychotherapy can be the first step toward regaining control of your life. At Life Solutions, our therapists are compassionate, non-judgmental, and confidential.
Treatment will involve some or all of the following:
• Exploring the psychological side and possible origins of your addiction
• Recruiting medical and/or community-based resources if necessary
• Cultivating insight and understanding about your addictive triggers
• Building greater mastery of overwhelming emotions
• Learning about self-esteem and self-care
• Discovering your internal strengths to replace self-medication
• Exploring and repairing the damage addiction has done to your relationships